Monday 15 October 2012

Getting in the artichokes and rhubarb



As we’re getting to the end of our planting season, it’s time to put in the perennial veggies that were started from seed.  Overall, I’ve been happy with the results…the few rhubarb plants that did come up came from seed from our own plants!

Matt and his four-legged friend, Reed
You’ll notice that my Wwoofers, Matt and Reed, hailing from Washington DC, are planting them outside the deer fence.  I think this will be a safe move as I know that no animals have been feasting on the parent rhubarb plant (which will also be divided and moved to this planting area once the rains kick in) in a very vulnerable open area in which it’s been growing.  I also understand that deer don’t like artichokes (although I’ve covered with netting to give them protection from deer and other varmints through the winter); they have grown greatly from the seedlings transplanted just three weeks ago.

Being drawn toward experimentation, we’ll be planting the other half of artichokes next spring.  I think it will be interesting to see how the two groups of plants grow and produce.  It also will give me more options should a killing freeze do in the artichokes that are in the ground right now.  I think that our climate should be fine.

The seed packet states that these plants may produce a crop next year.  As I got them planted up by the end of June and they’ve had a short summer in which to reach their current size, this may be hoping for too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment